Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Red Sox Nation -Check In (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15635)

The Poet 07-04-2009 02:26 PM

Re: Red Sox Nation -Check In

Hmmm, and the Yankees going into extra frames. Getting interesting again, just in the last week.

Tee hee hee.

Bruins Fan 07-04-2009 02:40 PM

No doubt, it will come down to who plays the best down the stretch.

The Poet 07-04-2009 03:18 PM

Yankees 6-5 in the 12th - I can hear John Sterling now:

"The Yankees win ... theeeeeee Yankees WIN!"

Tee hee hee.

Bruins Fan 07-06-2009 08:14 PM

Smolts get lit up again, so far this guy is a stiff.
I give him two more starts before he is gone?
NL pitchers just can't get it done in the AL.

VTDragon 07-07-2009 10:49 AM

You're right about Smoltz, nothing but a [FONT=Verdana]disappointment[/FONT] so far. The only decent game he pitched was the rain delayed one vs Atlanta when he looked good for 4 inninings and then was replaced after the delay. I don't know if it's the American vs. National thing or if he is just too old. It will be interesting to see how long the Sox stick with him though.

On another subject, I think it is GREAT the Wakefield made the All Star team. A well deserved (even if it is for career acheivement) award.

sboyajian 07-07-2009 10:55 AM

Lifelong Red Sox fan here.. (born and raised south of Boston).. good to know so many others are here.

I still have faith in Smoltz.. he is coming off an injury.. I think he can still get it done.

I trust him more than DiceK. :(

Bruins Fan 07-07-2009 11:21 AM

Listening to Smoltz's interviews, he freaking thinks the Sox are about rehabbing him. WRONG it's about winning ball games.
Between him and Dice-K in that spot in the rotation they are one and seven.
He should be embarrassed to get beat up by the worst offensive team in the AL.

Bruins Fan 07-07-2009 04:02 PM

Talk radio is burning up with the Halladay to Boston talk.
The Sox can afford him, and have a lot of major league prospects to deal.
But will JP trade within the division? Their are only a few teams that can do this deal with the Sox being the top contender?

Toasted Coastie 07-07-2009 04:16 PM

JP would be a fool to trade within division.

WEEI cracks me up though......

VTDragon 07-08-2009 08:43 AM

The Sox won't give up their young studs for Halladay. They will sorely need them next year when Smoltz and Penney are both gone.

taltos 07-08-2009 10:21 AM

A big factor would be how much time Halladay has left on his contract. I could see them giving up Buckholtz and a minor league position player prospect if Halladay is not a lame duck and has time left after this season. Will be interesting to watch as this develops.

Bruins Fan 07-08-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 455480)
The Sox won't give up their young studs for Halladay. They will sorely need them next year when Smoltz and Penney are both gone.

I would do it in a heartbeat. The Sox would have three NO 1 starters, and all three guys pitch deep into a game, throw Dice into the mix, I think we could win two out of the next three World Series?

VTDragon 07-08-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 455587)
A big factor would be how much time Halladay has left on his contract....Will be interesting to watch as this develops

You're right, that is the key and, yes it will be interesting.

VTDragon 07-09-2009 11:04 AM

Nice win by Wake last night. He is first in the Majors with 11 wins, just reiforcing his All Star selection.

Bruins Fan 07-12-2009 02:32 PM

Beckett pitches a complete game shutout for his 100th career win.
Sox go into the All Star Break on top of AL East :D

gettysburgfreak 07-12-2009 06:36 PM

Beckett looked great today. Good momentum for the second half.

VTDragon 07-13-2009 01:40 PM

A full 3 games ahead of the Evil Empire and there we actually saw the SUN in New England this weekend. Life is good!

Bruins Fan 07-15-2009 10:05 AM

The local boys did not disappoint in the Allstar Game.
Bay and Youkilis each had hits, and Pap picked up the win in relief :D

VTDragon 07-15-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 465091)
The local boys did not disappoint in the Allstar Game.
Bay and Youkilis each had hits, and Pap picked up the win in relief :D

Too bad Wake didn't get to pitch, that would have been fun.

dunng 07-15-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 465099)
Too bad Wake didn't get to pitch, that would have been fun.

Agreed... :c

gettysburgfreak 07-15-2009 06:15 PM

Papelbon better not start grooving fastballs in the second half like he did in the all star game.

Bruins Fan 07-15-2009 08:25 PM

I guess the book on Pap is to swing at the first pitch, he is always around the plate trying to get ahead of the hitter?

VTDragon 07-17-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 465943)
I guess the book on Pap is to swing at the first pitch, he is always around the plate trying to get ahead of the hitter?

Unfortunately you're right. Maybe Tek can get him to sometimes throw the splitter first to keep batters off balance.

On another subject, has any one heard any word about RemDawg? I'm guessing that he must be a LOT sicker than has been revealed.

taltos 07-17-2009 09:09 AM

Haven't heard anything on Remy. I am not a big fan of him and Orsillo together in the booth since it becomes a non stop selling session but Eck is going to cause me to quit watching the games. On a more cheerful note, there are reports that Lugo did not make the trip to Toronto with the Sox.

gettysburgfreak 07-17-2009 09:13 AM

Lugo sucks, I am still pissed off that they ever signed that POS

Bruins Fan 07-17-2009 10:14 AM

Theo has a lot of man love for washed up shortstops.
I still can't understand letting Alex Gonzalez go?
The guy was the best defensive SS to ever put on a Red Sox uniform.

VTDragon 07-17-2009 01:16 PM

It would be nice if they could get something, even a minor leaguer, for Lugo but he has to go regardless. I hope Bucholtz pitches lights out and makes the decision to ship him back to Pawtucket real difficult. The kid has done everything they have asked of him since being demoted to Portland last year and really does deserve another shot.

taltos 07-17-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 468902)
It would be nice if they could get something, even a minor leaguer, for Lugo but he has to go regardless. I hope Bucholtz pitches lights out and makes the decision to ship him back to Pawtucket real difficult. The kid has done everything they have asked of him since being demoted to Portland last year and really does deserve another shot.

The main beef with him and why he was sent down is that he did not listen to coaching. He was not listening to the pitching coach or to Tek. Hopefully he has learned to listen. Besides that point, who would you remove from the rotation for Bucholtz? Smoltz is the only one that I could see and somehow I trust Smoltz more when it gets to crunch time. I suspect that this is a showcase for a trade. Maybe he would ultimately have more success at the major league level with a fresh start with another team. On another topic, Lugo has been DFA'd. Bye bye Julio.:D

Bruins Fan 07-17-2009 03:47 PM

I don't know how he does it? It got to be tuff to keep your mind on baseball:D
http://celebglitz.com/36640/Celebrit...irlfriend.aspx

Bruins Fan 07-18-2009 04:56 AM

Buchholz pitched a good game and got the win.
Lugo is gone Lowrie is back, but I don't think the Sox are going hang their hat on that?
Lowrie has a half season under his belt, he played great D but not much of a bat.
Nick Green has been playing very good SS the guy has a cannon of an arm, but slumping and looking bad at the plate.
I think the Sox make a deal for a Shortstop ?

taltos 07-18-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 469847)
Buchholz pitched a good game and got the win.
Lugo is gone Lowrie is back, but I don't think the Sox are going hang their hat on that?
Lowrie has a half season under his belt, he played great D but not much of a bat.
Nick Green has been playing very good SS the guy has a cannon of an arm, but slumping and looking bad at the plate.
I think the Sox make a deal for a Shortstop ?

There is a guy now playing for Syracuse in the Nationals system. He is primarily a ss but has played 2nd and 3rd over parts of 4 major league seasons. He hit .300 in 337 major league at bats and is hitting .332 in the minors this year. He is only 27 years old and would probably come pretty cheap. His name is Mike Morse. Might be worth looking at.:tu

gettysburgfreak 07-18-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 469912)
There is a guy now playing for Syracuse in the Nationals system. He is primarily a ss but has played 2nd and 3rd over parts of 4 major league seasons. He hit .300 in 337 major league at bats and is hitting .332 in the minors this year. He is only 27 years old and would probably come pretty cheap. His name is Mike Morse. Might be worth looking at.:tu

I have seen him play once this year and from what I have heard he has a lot of promise. Living 30 miles from Syracuse I get to a few games a year.

VTDragon 07-20-2009 09:39 AM

I know that the two reasons teams develop their Farm Systems are to staff the Big Club and to trade prospects for current needs. BUT, I would really hate to see Buchholtz, Michael Bowden, Daniel Bard or even Junichi Tazawa traded this year when we are virtually certain that Penney and probably Smoltz will be gone next year. People get hurt, slumps happen and young pitchers are baseball's most precious commodity. The Sox' real need is for a power hitter who can play a couple of infield positions. I hope they don't give up their future for it. (By the way, I'd be happy to see Dice-K go, but I think he has a no-trade clause)

Bruins Fan 07-21-2009 03:17 AM

Smoltz..Penny..Smoltz..Penny, these two studs just pitched away our first place lead.
Trade Penny, for for a bat, Smoltz he can go play long toss with Dice-K.
Time to make some moves Bay has been sucking -ass for the last two months, along with Drew.
We need someone to come off the bench with some offense.
Yeah I panic easy, but I'm not blind :D

Bruins Fan 07-22-2009 07:49 AM

Red Sox sluggers :rolleyes:
Bay 254
Drew 236
Ortiz 224
Teck 230
And that's not their weight
The numbers are much worse if you go back 60 days.
And Bay's camp is not happy the Sox are not throwing the big bucks at him?

Bruins Fan 07-22-2009 12:19 PM

Things are starting to happen?
22pm
UPDATED: Red Sox close to acquiring Adam LaRoche for two prospects
By: Alex Speier

0 Comments
Print

Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first reported that the Red Sox and Pirates have agreed to the parameters of a trade sending first baseman Adam LaRoche to Boston. LaRoche is a power-hitting first baseman who has averaged 24.5 homers over the past four seasons with the Braves and Pirates. He is hitting .247 with a .329 OBP and .441 slugging mark for the Pirates this year, down from career totals of .269/.338/.486.

In exchange, WEEI.com has learned from multiple baseball sources that the Red Sox will send Double-A shortstop Argenis Diaz and Single-A pitcher Hunter Strickland to Pittsburgh once the deal is finalized. For details, visit the Full Count blog.

The Poet 07-22-2009 02:15 PM

LaRoche @ .247, eh? Fits well with the rest of your sluggers. :tu

Bruins Fan 07-26-2009 02:51 PM

Smoltz craps the bed again, I don't care about his glory days.
I hope the Smoltz experiment is over? The guy is washed up give the ball to one of the young guys.

VTDragon 07-27-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 480692)
Smoltz craps the bed again, I don't care about his glory days.
I hope the Smoltz experiment is over? The guy is washed up give the ball to one of the young guys.

I agree :tpd:enough is enough. It was a nice experiment, worth the money invested, but we can't afford the loses at this point. I'd rather take my chances with Bucholtz' fragile pysche.

Bruins Fan 07-27-2009 09:42 AM

Sox pitching coach says Smoltz gets another start.
This guy is getting hammered by the worst teams in baseball, what's going to happen when he faces the Iron, he will be lucky to get out of the first inning?
Between Smoltz and Dice-K out of 15 starts they have a combined record of 2+9.
Buchholz is 1+1 after two, looks like a no brainier to me, eat the contract and send him packing.

Bruins Fan 07-28-2009 09:39 AM

Dice-K should just man up he stunk out the house this year.
He is blaming the Sox because he got hammered every start? Well he came to spring training directly from the WBC, the Sox had nothing to do with his training or conditioning.
Of course he can't pitch like in Japan, Japanese baseball is not even as good as AAA in the USA.
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/re...le-find-middle

VTDragon 07-28-2009 10:33 AM

On a positive note Beckett was his usual stellar self last night and finally the team broke out of their collective hitting slump.

Ain't it nice to be back in Fenway and playing the A's?

VTDragon 07-29-2009 09:28 AM

Aaarrrggg! Papelbon and Green conspire to blow one vs, the A's last night. It was painful to watch

Bruins Fan 07-31-2009 01:48 PM

Sox trade Adam LaRoche to the Braves for Casey Kotchman.
The Sox done LaRoche a favor Kotchman will never play now with Victor Martinez on board.

VTDragon 07-31-2009 01:53 PM

According to multiple reports, Boston has completed a deal for All-Star catcher Victor Martinez, sending three young pitchers -- Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price -- to the Cleveland Indians.

Tito will REALLY be able to do some lineup juggling now.

Bruins Fan 07-31-2009 01:57 PM

Victor Martinez a catcher at last, Teck has been washed up for years.

taltos 07-31-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 488998)
Victor Martinez a catcher at last, Teck has been washed up for years.

Tek is far superior defensively over Martinez.

Bruzee 07-31-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 488981)
Sox trade Adam LaRoche to the Braves for Casey Kotchman.
The Sox done LaRoche a favor Kotchman will never play now with Victor Martinez on board.

Yep... We (Braves Fan) are glad to have Adam back. Link: http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=atl

cady97dev 07-31-2009 03:04 PM

Laroche was a short timer here....We used him in a relly good trade I believe...Thank God we gotr another quality catcher....Tek????? How much longer can he really go???? Not bashing him but good thin gs have to come to and at some point.

cady97dev 07-31-2009 03:05 PM

I think we are pretty stacked now....NEED PITCHING!!!!!!!