Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Red Sox Nation -Check In (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15635)

Bruins Fan 08-08-2011 03:21 PM

Re: Red Sox Nation -Check In

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwintosh (Post 1366020)
i see y'all are taking care of our gift to you...

Yes we are,what a great player and a true professional :D

tupacboy 09-12-2011 11:28 AM

sox need to wake up!!! getting swept by the rays really hurt this weekend... i was hoping to win the series... but failed

VTDragon 09-13-2011 10:41 AM

Pitchers, pitchers , where-O-where are the pitchers?

Bruins Fan 09-13-2011 01:30 PM

Looks like the wheels are falling off the wagon?

The Poet 09-19-2011 04:17 PM

OK, Boston fans, it's now rock-and-a-hard-place time. With the Yankee win this afternoon, and the Red Sox loss, New York's magic number is down to five. Meanwhile, the BoSox are only 1 1/2 ahead of the Rays for the wildcard, and just one in the loss column. Yanks and Rays have 7 games head-to-head coming.

It seems unlikely that Boston can take the AL East at this point, and in fact are more likely to lose out of the playoffs entirely than the former. So, do you bite the bullet and root root root for the hated Yankees, or does your destestation seep so deeply you'd sooner cut your noses off to spite your face?

Hey, I'm not tweaking you just to get a rise . . . well, maybe a little :D . . . but am genuinely curious to know.

Coach Deg 09-19-2011 05:12 PM

Go Rays!!!!! My playoff ticket money is due Wednesday and you damn RedSox couldn't make my decision any easier!!!

Bruins Fan 09-19-2011 05:18 PM

I hope they fall on their faces, I want Theo and Francona gone.
Theo has pissed away hundreds of millions of dollars on bad signings,and were stuck with Carl Crawford, John Lackey, forget about J D Drew in the last year of his contract and just won't play anymore.
Screw baseball,the Pats are hot and the Bruins are in training camp.
I fell off the band wagon months ago.

Subvet642 09-20-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1414020)
OK, Boston fans, it's now rock-and-a-hard-place time. With the Yankee win this afternoon, and the Red Sox loss, New York's magic number is down to five. Meanwhile, the BoSox are only 1 1/2 ahead of the Rays for the wildcard, and just one in the loss column. Yanks and Rays have 7 games head-to-head coming.

It seems unlikely that Boston can take the AL East at this point, and in fact are more likely to lose out of the playoffs entirely than the former. So, do you bite the bullet and root root root for the hated Yankees, or does your detestation seep so deeply you'd sooner cut your noses off to spite your face?

Hey, I'm not tweaking you just to get a rise . . . well, maybe a little :D . . . but am genuinely curious to know.

If the Red Sox aren't playing, there is no baseball, for me at least. I don't root for other teams, anymore than I would switch my allegiance to another country. I am a complete baseball partisan. I love the Sox, all other teams...well, you know.

taltos 09-20-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1414020)

It seems unlikely that Boston can take the AL East at this point, and in fact are more likely to lose out of the playoffs entirely than the former. So, do you bite the bullet and root root root for the hated Yankees, or does your destestation seep so deeply you'd sooner cut your noses off to spite your face?

I will cheer for any team but the Yankees. Not sure who I despise more, the Yankees or the Jets.

The Poet 09-29-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 1415340)
I will cheer for any team but the Yankees.

Then be sure to send a bouquet to Evan Longoria. :r

Bruins Fan 09-30-2011 03:12 AM

Francona should be done today as being reported? I wanted him gone for a few years know.

Lets hope Theo is gone too the sox have to change the culture of this team.

A new broom sweeps clean :D

massphatness 09-30-2011 04:37 AM

Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that Francona will ask the Red Sox NOT to exercise their contract option for him next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 1425045)
I wanted him gone for a few years know.

Be careful what you wish for ... you may just get it.

skullnrose 09-30-2011 05:56 AM

Francona is a great manager and If he doesn't stay with Boston I'm sure he'll be successful wherever he winds up. Just out of curiosity who would you like to replace him with?

Subvet642 09-30-2011 06:04 AM

The way I see it; if Tito leaves Boston, I don't think we'll ever see another World Series Championship in our lifetime.

VirtualSmitty 09-30-2011 06:38 AM

Both the Nationals and White Sox need a coach for next year, maybe Tito wants a change of scenery. That would be huge though, who could fill those shoes?

icehog3 09-30-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullnrose (Post 1425081)
Just out of curiosity who would you like to replace him with?

Dusty Baker? :r

massphatness 09-30-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullnrose (Post 1425081)
Just out of curiosity who would you like to replace him with?

Now there's the question. With all the superstar talent on this team, and maybe a couple prima-donnas thrown in for good measure, we're going to need someone Torre-esque.

I hope he doesn't leave, but if he does, he'll be unemployed for all of 10 minutes.

And I know I'll be one of the ones cheering him when he returns to Fenway with his new team. The man did a lot more than people give him credit for, and I'm not excited about the post-Francona era.

jonumberone 09-30-2011 08:27 AM

Any Sox fan who wants to lay this at the feet of Tito is delusional!
How quick fans forget the 86 years without a championship.
Tito delivered two in the last 8!
Scapegoating the manager is common practice, and Yankee fans are guilty of it too.
When Torre left, there was more than a small contingent of Yankee fans who were happy about it.
Torre, like Tito had his flaws, but they weren't the reasons for the team not winning championships.
Like Vin said, be careful what you wish for!

massphatness 09-30-2011 08:56 AM

Boston sports radio station is reporting Francona is officially out ...

macsauce13 09-30-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 1425205)
Boston sports radio station is reporting Francona is officially out ...

RIdiculous. What a horrible, short sighted decision.

floydpink 09-30-2011 09:18 AM

Sounds like my life; one bad month and you're looking for a new job.....

Bruins Fan 09-30-2011 09:27 AM

Tito and Theo were in the right place at the right time, the 04 team was built by Dan Doucette,all Theo did was get rid of Noarm.
Grady Little should have brought the team to the series if he wasn't such a idiot.
That's the way I see it. -(P

kugie 09-30-2011 09:27 AM

Someone has to pay and It's a shame it was laid on him.

But you can't fire baseball players

Bruins Fan 09-30-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugie (Post 1425226)
Someone has to pay and It's a shame it was laid on him.

But you can't fire baseball players

And you don't give another ship to the captain of the Titanic.

The Poet 09-30-2011 02:00 PM

There were rumors yesterday on ESPN radio here in NY that Boston discreetly approached Joe Torre. Aside from the thought that it would be weird seeing Joe in a Red Sox uni, the main objection is that Boston may not be willing to pay Torre what he would demand. After dropping big bucks on Dice-K and Crawford, with (to date anyway) minimal return, these analysts feel John Henry might be gun-shy.

jonumberone 09-30-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 1425225)
Tito and Theo were in the right place at the right time, the 04 team was built by Dan Doucette,all Theo did was get rid of Noarm.

I guess bringing in Schilling had nothing to do with it? :sh
Was the 07 team with Beckett all Dan Doucette too?

Bruins Fan 09-30-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonumberone (Post 1425519)
I guess bringing in Schilling had nothing to do with it? :sh
Was the 07 team with Beckett all Dan Doucette too?

LOL ,Theo had nothing to do with the Beckett deal it was at the time he quit the sox and was sneaking around Fenway in the gorilla suit.

Bruins Fan 09-30-2011 04:25 PM

Some of Theo's biggest blunders, I wont list the one year big money busts like Smolts.
Edger Renteria 2 for 18.5 mil
Julio Lugo 5 for 36 mil
Daisuke 6 for 51.11 plus a 50 mil posting fee
J D Drew 5 for 70 mil
John Lackey 5 for 82.5 mil
Carl Crawford 7 for 142 mil
Theo should have lost his job long ago.

icehog3 09-30-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 1425633)
Some of Theo's biggest blunders, I wont list the one year big money busts like Smolts.
Julio Lugo 5 for 36 mil
J D Drew 5 for 70 mil

I will raise you Jim Hendry for the win! :D

kelmac07 09-30-2011 06:22 PM

They are going to regret letting Francona go.

kugie 09-30-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 1425633)
Julio Lugo 5 for 36 mil
J D Drew 5 for 70 mil

I don't agree with all of these

Lackey, is a bust, he has a broken head and can't get in the game. And he's not worth it.
J.D Drew, he is what was expected decent at times with no heart. But when it came to the playoffs he stepped it up.
Carl Crawford, the jury's still out on him,(1st year new team) can he get his head in the game of the Boston media, we'll see.
Daisuke, everyone and their brother was happy they got him he was a project that "ehh", worked in the beginning but fizzled out.

And the Sox have a revolving door at SS so those other two are a wash.
Look at RentAReck and Lugo they both played to there potential when they left here they don't have the heart to play in a place that really cares.
my :2 for what it's worth.
Sorry to see Tito go but someone had to pay the price

BigAsh 10-01-2011 07:00 AM

Its a shame....I liked Tito...he lived not far from me when he was with the Phillies...I guess he "lost" the clubhouse...tough to manage when you can't get thru to your players....From his statement:

"We met this morning to look back on the 2011 season and to consider the future of the Boston Red Sox, including my involvement with the club. I passed along my frustrations at my inability to effectively reach the players. After many conversations and much consideration, I ultimately felt that, out of respect to this team, it was time for me to move on," Francona said.

"I've always maintained that it is not only the right, but the obligation, of ownership to have the right person doing this job. I told them that out of my enormous respect for this organization and the people in it, they may need to find a different voice to lead the team."

There will be some more house-cleaning, no doubt....there are a lot pf good pieces there, just need someone to put the puzzle together...

mosesbotbol 10-01-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1425722)
They are going to regret letting Francona go.

I don't think so, Francona wanted to leave. Managers have a shelf life no matter how successful they were. The next manager may not be "better", but a different direction and voice was needed in the dug out.

VTDragon 10-03-2011 10:22 AM

Lots of nice talk, but Francona got fired. The Sox allowed him his dignity, but he still got fired. I think the White Sox will be thrilled to get him as will the Chicago players. I expect that Theo won't be far behind him, (and he'll probably end up on the other side of Chicago from Tito). John Henry gave Theo a blank check and he has not produced since 07. Henry expects to get more for his money than he got this season. Look for Ben Charrington to be the new GM and for the Sox to make a play for John Farrell. Ya, he's under contract but so is Theo and money talks.

massphatness 11-11-2011 12:50 PM

ugh

Quote:

Jonathan Papelbon is apparently going to be changing organizations for the first time in his professional career. He has agreed to sign with the Phillies for a four-year contract that "approaches" $50 million, pending a physical, according to CSNPhilly.com.

Bruins Fan 11-11-2011 01:07 PM

Good for him, he was after every dollar.
And a big F U to the Sox :tu

VTDragon 11-14-2011 01:33 PM

First decision of the Charrington administration was to let Pappelbon go. Good for you Ben, I believe Pap will tank with the Phillies as he's now got the money he has been seeking for years. It will be real interesting to see what comes out of the winter meetings.

tupacboy 04-23-2012 03:47 PM

been a rough start gents... injuries... and a pen that keeps collapsing... but its early :)

The Poet 04-23-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 1623223)
been a rough start gents... injuries... and a pen that keeps collapsing... but its early :)

True dat. But in the AL East, as the wise man Yogi Berra said, it gets late early around here. ;)

The Poet 08-14-2012 02:48 PM

OK, I can understand all you "loyal" Boston fans hiding in embarrassment all these months, but are you REALLY gonna leave it to a Yankee to mention the passing of Johnny Pesky?

Rest in Peace.

Bruins Fan 08-14-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1699957)
OK, I can understand all you "loyal" Boston fans hiding in embarrassment all these months, but are you REALLY gonna leave it to a Yankee to mention the passing of Johnny Pesky?

Rest in Peace.

RIP JP,
I never got the fascination with Peskey?
He wasn't much as a player,just a nice personable guy that the players loved to have around.

Now Yahoo reports there was a major blow out between players and the owner,calling for Bobby's Head.

Management has to clean house from top to bottom.

I wrote this team off the day they hired Bobby V.

hotreds 08-14-2012 07:01 PM

http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_art...OBITforweb.jpg

taltos 08-15-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 1700099)
RIP JP,
I never got the fascination with Peskey?
He wasn't much as a player,just a nice personable guy that the players loved to have around.

Now Yahoo reports there was a major blow out between players and the owner,calling for Bobby's Head.

Management has to clean house from top to bottom.

I wrote this team off the day they hired Bobby V.

The fascination with Pesky might be partially due to his being a career .307 batter even with losing 3 years of baseball to the Navy. Or it may be due to his over 60 years of service with the Red Sox. There is a lot to like about the guy.

massphatness 08-15-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 1700326)
The fascination with Pesky might be partially due to his being a career .307 batter even with losing 3 years of baseball to the Navy. Or it may be due to his over 60 years of service with the Red Sox. There is a lot to like about the guy.

Well said, Paul. Was at the Springsteen concert @ Fenway last night, and Bruce did a really nice tribute to Pesky during the early part of the show. The crowd absolutely exploded.

Bruins Fan 08-23-2012 03:18 PM

Shame on the Red Sox Players, that is why I gave up on this team in spring training...I could smell it.

Report: Red Sox brass upset more players didn't go to Pesky's funeral
August 23, 2012, 9:39 am
3 COMMENTS

Recommend

Twitter

Email

Print Article

CSNNE.com STAFF REPORT
FOLLOW ON TWITTER @CSNNEWENGLAND
Four current Red Sox players attended Johnny Pesky's funeral this week, according to the Boston Herald.

From the Herald:
Word from Yawkey Way is that the Sox front office hired buses to bring players, office and staff to the funeral from the ballpark to the church. The suits, we hear, were surprised and disappointed when the vast majority of the 40 players on the roster didn’t bother to show up for the services.

“We ordered the buses for the front office to go, knowing that any players could join us or drive separately from their homes,” Sox spokesman Charles Steinberg told the Track. “Between the ownership, front office, current players and staff, and former players, we were well represented by the people who knew Johnny best.”

The current players who attended the funeral were David Ortiz, Clay Buchholz, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Vicente Padilla.

The Herald says that most of the team showed up to Josh Beckett's annual Beckett Bowl and country music show at the Lucky Strike Lanes and the House of Blues.

"The front office was not happy," a source told the Herald.

Tags: David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox, Johnny Pesky, Jarrod Saltalamacchia

The Poet 08-23-2012 03:36 PM

Maybe they should have bent the rules, and offered free beer. :D

Bruins Fan 08-25-2012 02:50 AM

Major blockbuster house cleaning in the works
It can't happen soon enough :tu

VTDragon 09-07-2012 09:27 AM

Sigh, feels like deja vu, the Olde Town Team has reverted to their pre 2004 persona. Well, if you've been a fan as long as I have, you are accustomed to it.
A few thoughts:
How do you think Dan Douquette is feeling these days, (can you say vindicated?)
Will John Henry actually let Ben Charington do his job rebuilding the team or will he be forced again to march to Luchino's, (you know the guy who insisted on hiring Bobby V), drumbeat?
I could go on but sadly the only thing to say at this point is the old "wait till next year" (of course Belicheck & Company could help us forget sooner)

VTDragon 09-27-2012 01:47 PM

Mercifully it is almost over. Let me be the first to say goodbye to Bobby V. It was not all his fault, but I think it is inevitable. I hope Ben Charington has a good offseason (a good start would be to make a deal with Toronto and sign John Farrell ASAP). He needs to decide who is worth keeping and who has to go and then be decisive about his moves. Should be an interesting hot stove season

Powers 09-27-2012 10:27 PM

This Brave is checking in to share w/y'all a hilarious Onion Sports article about Bobby V:

"Bobby Valentine: 'The Red Sox Suck **** This Year And I Hate All My Players'"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bob...year-an,29637/

:r