Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What beers are you enjoying? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=309)

landhoney 04-20-2011 03:11 PM

Re: What beers are you enjoying?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1240983)
This thread has a funny name. I am DRINKING a Hop Wallop. I am not enjoying a Hop Wallop. No offense to
hop lovers, but I forgot what it is I do not care for in a hoppy beer. I am a malty guy. I can tolerate the other 5
I have, especially since it may end up that a friend drinks his share over a few BBQ weekends. But it's ironic
that the beer I have the most quantity in is the one I will end up liking least....probably, lol. Reminds me of
a heavy Corona.

Age/cellar it, the hops will fade and it will be more malty. May defeat the purpose of that particular beer, but they will fade fairly quick and it will give you some idea of what aging does to beers (and a cheap lesson too as you already bought the beer). Open one every 3-4 months. It's 8.5 ABV, should hold up well and become more malty as the hops fade.

BTW, I am not advocating aging beers like this one. Just in this case, he doesn't like the beer he already has, was interested in what aging does to beers.....seems like a slam dunk. :2 I don't want to start the whole "you're not supposed to age hoppy beers" debate. :r

awsmith4 04-20-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhoney (Post 1241000)
Age/cellar it, the hops will fade and it will be more malty. May defeat the purpose of that particular beer, but they will fade fairly quick and it will give you some idea of what aging does to beers (and a cheap lesson too as you already bought the beer). Open one every 3-4 months. It's 8.5 ABV, should hold up well and become more malty as the hops fade.

BTW, I am not advocating aging beers like this one. Just in this case, he doesn't like the beer he already has, was interested in what aging does to beers.....seems like a slam dunk. :2 I don't want to start the whole "you're not supposed to age hoppy beers" debate. :r

Hey! I read you are not supposed to age hoppy beers?!

:D

newcigarz 04-20-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1241017)

I age them in my belly! :noon

OLS 04-20-2011 04:04 PM

I tell you what Seth, Cigars have taught me a very important thing, NEVER just dump something you have
that you don't like. It will always change, lol. I think your advice here is solid. And the beer is not terrible, it's
just outside my strike zone.

Matt-N-Ga 04-20-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1241017)

Except for Pliny and and Blind Pig from Russian River. They explicitly tell you on the label that those beers are best enjoyed with alot of age on them. :r:r

awsmith4 04-20-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga (Post 1241096)
Except for Pliny and and Blind Pig from Russian River. They explicitly tell you on the label that those beers are best enjoyed with alot of age on them. :r:r

;):r

druturn 04-20-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

This thread has a funny name. I am DRINKING a Hop Wallop. I am not enjoying a Hop Wallop. No offense to
hop lovers, but I forgot what it is I do not care for in a hoppy beer. I am a malty guy. I can tolerate the other 5
I have, especially since it may end up that a friend drinks his share over a few BBQ weekends. But it's ironic
that the beer I have the most quantity in is the one I will end up liking least....probably, lol. Reminds me of
a heavy Corona.

I am totally with you on this. I love beer so much, but I still can't stand super hoppy beer. I love Lagers and Ale, but hoppy IPAs just don't do it for me. Also, I am currently drinking a Dos Equis.

cobra03 04-21-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druturn (Post 1241333)
I am totally with you on this. I love beer so much, but I still can't stand super hoppy beer. I love Lagers and Ale, but hoppy IPAs just don't do it for me. Also, I am currently drinking a Dos Equis.

I was the same way for the longest time. I couldnt stand IPA's. Then for the sake of expanding my horizons and at least saying i tried, i picked up a few IPA samplers from the local store. I actually enjoyed several of them and have since got a taste for them. Now if you look in my fridge its mostly IPA's

Bill86 04-21-2011 12:56 AM

Once you have a GOOD IPA, you almost have to like them. While not my favorite style of beer some of them are just damn good. Three Floyds Dreadnaught and Stone Ruination come to mind. I also like the DFH 120 minute IPA.

I will say though there are a TON of mediocre IPA's out there. By Mediocre I mean I would just about pour them down the drain. Boring.....

stoogie007 04-21-2011 02:17 AM

Stone Brewing Co. 'Stone Smoked Porter' - GREAT!

longknocker 04-21-2011 04:03 AM

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis- Much Better & Smoother Than The Pale Ale IMHO!:tu

landhoney 04-21-2011 09:41 AM

Last night sampled from:
De Struise Outblack
Deca Westoek XX
Hair of the Dog - Fred from the Wood....2007 :D
DFH 90 MIN.....on Randall :D
Jester King- Black Metal Imp Stout
and some collaboration tripel that was non-exciting

Blindjimme 04-21-2011 10:08 AM

Russian River Blind Pig
Deschutes Mirror Pond

awsmith4 04-21-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindjimme (Post 1241559)
Russian River Blind Pig
Deschutes Mirror Pond

Did you notice the label on the Blind Pig wanted you to age that beer? :D

Blindjimme 04-21-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1241584)
Did you notice the label on the Blind Pig wanted you to age that beer? :D

And they want you to store it warm too :r

BeerAdvocate 04-21-2011 04:50 PM

New Belgium Somersault - This is going to be a great beer for the summer!

cobra03 04-21-2011 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on some DFH Squall. This stuff is damn good. :tu

Jbailey 04-21-2011 08:09 PM

Weyerbacher Heresy on tap. Imperial Stout aged in oak barrels.

Jbailey 04-21-2011 09:11 PM

Sand Creek Double Oscar. Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

awsmith4 04-21-2011 09:20 PM

The other night I had Cigar City Hunahpu (thanks Seth) and really enjoyed it. It was a pretty intense beer, flavor wise. The ingredients were very pronounced, started with a smell of chocolate but the intial taste was the hot pepper which then subsided to cinnamon but the vanilla lingered on the finish. I WILL be attending next year's release so I can get more of it.

However, The Cigar City Vuja De may have stolen the show. It was just a stellar beer.

Jbailey 04-21-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1242124)
The other night I had Cigar City Hunahpu (thanks Seth) and really enjoyed it. It was a pretty intense beer, flavor wise. The ingredients were very pronounced, started with a smell of chocolate but the intial taste was the hot pepper which then subsided to cinnamon but the vanilla lingered on the finish. I WILL be attending next year's release so I can get more of it.

However, The Cigar City Vuja De may have stolen the show. It was just a stellar beer.

I was able to try some Hunahpu recently and it stands out next to other RIS.

Jbailey 04-21-2011 09:53 PM

Dogfish Head 60min on tap

Jbailey 04-21-2011 09:55 PM

Back about the Hunahpu Albert. It's funny cause I got the vanilla and chocolate up front and the pepper on the finish. It was a great beer for a tasting table.

awsmith4 04-21-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1242140)
Back about the Hunahpu Albert. It's funny cause I got the vanilla and chocolate up front and the pepper on the finish. It was a great beer for a tasting table.

I shared with Matt and it was interesting how he and I both got the same flavors but at different times. Regardless I will be seeking out moar!

Jbailey 04-21-2011 10:02 PM

I got one bottle from a friend in FL, just waiting for him to make a trip up.

Coming to Shack Albert?

awsmith4 04-21-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1242146)
I got one bottle from a friend in FL, just waiting for him to make a trip up.

Coming to Shack Albert?

I plan on it, I am going to start soon nailing down the details and backup details for the kids so last year does not repeat itself

Oh and since I am posting in this thread, I had Coney Island Lager and Port Mongo on tap tonight. It was pint night and Coney Island was featured so I got a free logo glass too.

Jbailey 04-21-2011 10:08 PM

Going to plan on doing the beer table again.: tu

awsmith4 04-21-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1242150)
Going to plan on doing the beer table again.: tu

:banger

I want to drive up so I can bring some good stuff to share

Jbailey 04-21-2011 10:10 PM

Maybe get the dock Herf crew together.:D

awsmith4 04-21-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1242153)
Maybe get the dock Herf crew together.:D

:tu

And I have a CPAP machine now so I wont get complaints from neighboring hotel rooms for snoring :D

Jbailey 04-21-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1242159)
:tu

And I have a CPAP machine now so I wont get complaints from neighboring hotel rooms for snoring :D

you plan on sleeping? :r

awsmith4 04-21-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1242160)
you plan on sleeping? :r

Passing out would be more accurate :r

Bill86 04-21-2011 11:44 PM

07 Mephistopheles Stout :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr My god 3.5 years on this has done it wonders. Thank you new liquor store.

Wanger 04-22-2011 06:50 AM

From a few days ago. Erin and I split the bottle. It was a GREAT beer!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/...c824317d_z.jpg

...but honestly, we both like Founders KBS a little bit more. I'm thinking I should have nabbed the all 3 packs of KBS that I had found, instead of just 2 of them. And we've got one more Beyotches Brew, also. :D

landhoney 04-22-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1242124)

I'm glad you liked it. I really like it (as does Tony), but apparently there are some bad bottles floating around....or people just don't "get" the beer because there are a lot of bad reviews on BA. I almost didn't include that bottle because of that, but the ones we are getting here have all been good and I know you are getting into sours, so I did. Glad it was good. :tu

newcigarz 04-22-2011 08:05 AM

Seth and I split bottles of Marron Acidifie and Papaya IPA last night.

kaisersozei 04-22-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

a heavy Corona.

I agree with Seth to try these after a little storage time. :tu

Not sure what part of the hoppiness you don't like, but you'll find that the aroma and some of the flavor will fade, but the overall bitterness will stay about the same. However, the beer will end up tasting more malty so it might fit in your wheelhouse better. Imperial IPAs, strong ales, and barleywines all have a very similar profile--lots of hops complemented by lots of malt to even things out. Over time, they all kind of blend together into similar, more balanced beers. Good luck enjoying your trip through beerdom!

jmsremax 04-22-2011 07:03 PM

Hoppin Frog BORIS :dr

Jbailey 04-22-2011 07:41 PM

Ommegang by Ommegang

Jbailey 04-22-2011 08:35 PM

Liefmans Cuvee Brut

Jbailey 04-22-2011 09:32 PM

07 Boon Mariage Parfait

Jbailey 04-22-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1243053)
07 Boon Mariage Parfait

It's an 04. My bad.

icehog3 04-22-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1243069)
It's an 04. My bad.

Or you're good!

Jbailey 04-22-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1243074)
Or you're good!

Your everywhere Tom. :r

I need to to sign my golf ball at Dark Lord Day.

awsmith4 04-23-2011 03:37 PM

I started with a home brew IPA, then half a home brewed Scottish (other half went in the can for my beer can chicken) and now a Terrapin Monk's Revenge

awsmith4 04-23-2011 04:02 PM

Now a Sweetwater Road Trip

Steve 04-23-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1243631)

:tu:tu

A friend/co-worker in our Atlanta office is a co-owner.

massphatness 04-23-2011 07:44 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5028/...9a2cd13263.jpg

whodeeni 04-23-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1243631)

You can have the rest of mine...

whodeeni 04-23-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 1243612)
I started with a home brew IPA, then half a home brewed Scottish (other half went in the can for my beer can chicken) and now a Terrapin Monk's Revenge

Boy you are gettin to it over there!:D

I think i liked the '10 Monk's revenge better...